Sun & Sea Festival Looking for Committee Volunteers
Oct 24, 2017 06:27PM
● By Paul Spear
Wanted: Community Volunteers to Serve on Sun & Sea Festival Committee!
Sun & Sea Festival 2018 will take place July 14
The Sun and Sea Festival Committee has just started to plan for next year’s festival to be held on Saturday July 14, 2018. Committee Chairs are seeking local volunteers to join the committee to help produce the largest special event in Imperial Beach. The 2018 theme is Super Heroes in the Sand.
“There is a special camaraderie in this committee as we like to work hard and have fun as well,” said Shirley Nakawatase, co-chair. “We have a couple of key positions to fill for 2018 –an organized person to manage the volunteer teams, and an artistic-type person to lead the sandcastle judges. We have procedures and committee members who can help the new volunteers.”
The Festival committee meets at 6 p.m. once a month on a Monday until June when meetings become more frequent. The meeting location is the Community Room at City Hall. Volunteers are expected to attend the monthly meetings and be available on the festival weekend of Friday, July 13 and Saturday, July 14. Those interested can contact us via the website http://sunandseafestival.com/ or call Shirley Nakawatase at 619-787-7093
Saturday, July 14, 2017: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- 9 am – 10 am: The Parade
- 8 am – 2:00 pm: Master Sand Sculptures Created north of the pier
- 10 am – 5 pm: Sun & Sea Festival held along Seacoast Drive with Kid’s Zone at Dunes Park
- 11 am – Parade Competition Awards at Pier Plaza Stage
- Noon – 1:30 pm: Kids ‘n Kastles Sand-Building Competition adjacent to Dune’s Park
- 2 pm – 4 pm: Sandcastle Judging: Best time to view castles
- 4 pm – 5 pm: Sandcastle Awards Ceremony at Pier Plaza
Friday, July 13, 2017
· 8 am – 10am –Mayor’s 3rd Annual Imperial Beach Pier Swim & Paddle (Pier Plaza Lifeguard Tower)
- 8 am –3k Beach Walk/Run starting at the Pier.
- 10 am – 11 am –Mayor’s Breakfast at Pier Plaza
- Noon – Dusk –Exhibition Sandcastle on Display
Note: If you would like to make sure you don't miss stories like this or any other news about the community of Imperial Beach and South County, please be sure to sign up for our newsletter. Please note that every subscriber of our newsletter receives a Community Calendar of Events at the 1st of every month. Click here to: Subscribe
Paul Spear, Publisher, and Editor of Dig Imperial Beach