Clever DIY Halloween Box Costume Inspiration
Oct 22, 2017 11:22PM
By Paul Spear
If you’re looking for a fun, creative DIY costume this Halloween, look no further than your next Amazon Prime delivery. Boxes from your online purchases can be used to create clever box costumes – or boxtumes – using supplies you already have around the house.
Boxtumes can be as simple or elaborate as you'd like and they're fun to make alone, with the kids or even for a group costume. With tens of millions of members around the world enjoying Amazon Prime’s unlimited fast, free shipping, the perfect boxtume is only one great idea away.
For inspiration and simple how-to guides for creating your own boxtumes, like this cake boxtume, visit amazon.com/PrimeInsiderHalloween.
Project courtesy of CraftyChica.com
- 4 large Amazon Prime boxes
- Duct tape
- Scissors or craft knife
- White spray paint
- White craft glue
- 2 jumbo rolls of party streamers (white and another color of choice)
- Brush on varnish
- Paint brush
- Collage clay
- Plastic tiara
- Paper towel roll
- Line up two boxes and tape short ends together to make the cake look like a slice. Stand boxes upright and open to desired size. Line up third box to make back of cake. Using scissors or a craft knife, cut away excess and tape to cake.
- Lay last box flat. Place cake on top and cut away excess. Cut hole big enough to fit over your head. Place cut piece on top of cake and tape in place.
- Cut arm holes on each side, and secure all edges with tape.
- Spray paint entire base white.
- Cut white party streamers into 16-inch strips. Fold and fringe with scissors. Set cake on its side and add line of white glue along bottom edge. Attach one strip of paper fringe at a time, repeating to cover entire box. Use colored streamers to add “frosting layers.” Continue until entire cake is covered. Add extra ruffles up sides of cake to look like frosting, and use varnish to add confetti to sides of cake. Cut cardboard triangle and decorate with clay and confetti. Let dry and glue in place on top of cake. Add more clay “icing” around edges.
- Place plastic tiara around paper towel roll. Follow the design of the tiara with clay. Add confetti and centerpiece of choice.
Tip: Wear white leggings or add a colorful tutu underneath.
Note: If you would like to make sure you don't miss stories like this or any other news about the community of Imperial Beach and South County, please be sure to sign up for our newsletter. Please note that every subscriber of our newsletter receives a Community Calendar of Events at the 1st of every month. Click here to: Subscribe
Paul Spear, Publisher, and Editor of Dig Imperial Beach