Imperial Beach Junior Lifeguards Making Some Changes to Program this Year
Apr 02, 2017 02:40PM ● Published by Paul Spear
2017 IBJG Program!!
Session I - 3 Weeks June 12th to June 30th
Session II - 2 Weeks July 3rd to July 14th
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The City of Imperial Beach Junior Lifeguard Program is a comprehensive training program, designed to teach youth in our community ages 9-17 leadership, self confidence, and respect for the ocean environment. Participants learn leadership skills, basic life-saving skills, physical fitness, water safety, and ocean awareness. They will be involved in a variety of activities including competitions, swimming, surfing, body boarding, and beach games. Guest speakers from different specialties organize presentations that pertain to the ocean and its environment. Participants will also be introduced to the profession of lifeguarding through exposure to standard lifeguard equipment and safety information presented by our staff.
JUNIOR LIFEGUARD INSTRUCTORS
Instructors are all experienced and certified ocean lifeguards. As lifeguards, they are required to maintain a certain level of physical fitness and complete 24 hours of basic life support training every year.
This year the IBJG Program is modernizing and will be changing to a new online registration and payment process. Our goal is to have it activated and live with a link here for registration by March 31, 2017.
- Session I - 3 Weeks June 12th to June 30th / $
- Session II - 2 Weeks July 3rd to July 14th / $
- Uniform $
Swim Tryout Dates:
- 2017 Swim dates are set for April 15th, April 22rd, and April 29th at the Mar Vista High School pool.
- Swims will be conducted from 12:00pm-3:00pm
- Swim distances and times for tryouts are as follows:
- Underwater Swim - 10 Yards - All Ages
- Tread Water - 3 Minutes - All Ages
- 100 Yard Swim - 2 Minutes 45 Seconds - Ages 9-11
- 100 Yard Swim - 2 Minutes 35 Seconds - Ages 12-13
- 100 Yard Swim - 2 Minutes 25 Seconds - Ages 14-17
- Underwater Swim - 10 Yards - All Ages
Complete details can be found in the 2017 Parent Handbook (link below). This document will contain more information about program dates, times, fees, uniforms, registration, and what to expect for the upcoming summer.
The Imperial Beach Junior Lifeguard Program offers those who are 15-17 years of age the opportunity to become Junior Guard Captains. The duties of a Junior Guard Captain include the following:
- Help Instructors set up in the morning and shut down in the afternoon
- Supervise younger Junior Guards when leaving the JG area
- Understand and adhere to the Parent Handbook
- Understand how to maintain and and care for equipment
- Understand the dangers of the ocean
- Be able to recognize a Rip Current
- Help Instructors supervise Junior Guards during skill development and keep them out of dangerous areas
- Help Instructors during activities and competition training
- Participating in all activities each day
- Participating in the Captain PT at least 3 times a week
- Supervising Junior Guards during lunch time and reminding them to re-apply sunscreen
- Must give your availability for the summer. Please give us notice in advance if you will be missing time during the session.
Captain tryout information:
- April 15th, 2017 at 12:00 pm at Mar Vista High School pool
- 500 yard swim in under 10 minutes
- One mile run around the track at MVHS for completion
- Interview at Imperial Beach Lifeguard Headquarters
- Application and captain expectations provided at bottom of page
Captain candidates will assist the lifeguards in running the IBJG tryouts from 12-3pm on Saturday April 15th, 2017. At the end of the IBJG tryouts, IBJG captain candidates will complete their timed 500 yard swim. Following the swim, the candidate’s will complete a mile run for completion around the track at Mar Vista High School.
There will be interviews assigned immediately following the successful completion of the swim and the run. Interviews will be held at the Imperial Beach Lifeguard Headquarters and each interview will be approximately 20 minutes. Interviews will be assigned on a first come first serve basis to the individuals with the fastest swim and run times.
There are six openings for the IBJG captain position. An additional two people will be put on the waitlist. This position is very competitive; we look forward to seeing you at the tryout!!
There will also be a twelve hour captain’s training for selected captains. This training will be June 10 & 11, 2017, from 8:00 am to 2:00pm.
You can visit this link to access all of their information: Imperial Beach Junior Lifeguards