Dr Katie McNamara, Superintendent for the South Bay Union School District, Addresses the Community
Feb 03, 2017 12:42PM ● Published by Paul Spear
Dr Katie McNamara, Superintendent for the South Bay Union School District, Addresses the Community on Events for the South Bay Union School DistrictDear South Bay Community,
As part of our ongoing communication with parents of English learners, South Bay’s District English Learners Advisory Committee (DELAC) hosted two Resource Fairs for our families this year. The Fairs were at Berry and Central schools, on August 8 and January 23 respectively. The DELAC Cabinet and District staff organized these events to provide our community access to various resources and services, most of which offer support at little or no cost.
Fairs followed DELAC meetings, which are held every other month at rotating school sites. We thank the following organizations for attending and supporting the fairs:
· La Maestra Community Health Center
· San Diego Job Corps Center
· San Diego Sheriff’s Department Crime Prevention
· San Ysidro Health Clinic
· Reach Out to Families Resource Center
· San Diego-Otay Branch Public Library
· Boys and Girls Club City of Imperial Beach
· South Bay Union Child Nutrition
· Mexican Consulate of San Diego
· The San Diego County Office of Education
· ALLY Program
· Feeding America San Diego
· South Bay Community Services
· Casa Familiar
· Montgomery Adult Education
Over fifty families attended these events, despite the cold and rainy weather. I want to recognize and thank the organizers of these events including Marisol Casillas, Susy Chavez, Claudia Juarez, Armando Lopez, Juana Lopez (DELAC President), Gil Luna, Veronica Reyes, Liliana Rodriguez, and Lisa Celaya.
Another Resource Fair is planned for May 16 at the Bayside STEAM Academy (490 Emory Street in Imperial Beach).
If you have questions, or wish to learn more about DELAC, you may visit their webpage.
Thank you to all for supporting our community!
Katie McNamara, Ed.D.