Local Artist, Ily Alfred, Designs Sun & Sea Festival Image for second consecutive Year
Apr 11, 2016 07:09PM
By Paul Spear
Local Artist, Ily Alfred, Designs Sun & Sea Festival Image for second consecutive Year!NEWS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Julie Walke, 858/729-9933
Local Artist Designs Sun & Sea Festival Image For Second Year
Sun & Sea Festival will take place July 15 & 16
Back by popular demand, local student artist Ily Alfred has designed this year’s Sun & Sea Festival Image. The 14-year-old ninth grader impressed festival organizers so much with eye-catching and vibrant design in 2015 that they selected her new artwork to be replicated on posters and t-shirts for the festival, July 15 & 16.
“A lot of people told me that they liked last year’s image because it was colorful and featured a female surfer,” said Alfred. “Imperial Beach is celebrating its 60th birthday, so I kept the bright colors and circular design because it catches your eye.” The pencil and ink 60s-inspired art prominently features psychedelic sandcastles, a flower-power VW bus and Surfhenge in front of a kaleidoscope sun.
According to event co-chair Shirley Nakawatase, “The committee is delighted that a six-generation, Imperial Beach artist is once more representing the festival.” When asked about her future as an artist, Alfred replies, “I draw and paint every day but I also use my skills as a face painter for birthday parties and local events.”
This year’s official t-shirts, banners and posters will be supplied by Boca Rio, a local printing company who specializes in non-profit clients, such as the Boys & Girls Club, the Taste of I.B. and the Fishing Derby. Boca Rio, which means where the river meets the sea, has been in business since 1998, according to owner, Rick Alvarez, “We figure out a way to help community causes because it is an opportunity for me to educate the customer as well as participate in their event.”
Saturday, July 16, 2015: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Pancake Breakfast: 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. - Pier Plaza
- Annual Parade: Starts at 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. - Seacoast Drive.
- Kidz Zone – Children’s Activities and fun 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Dunes Park
- Kids ‘n Kastles: sand castle competition for kids - noon to 1:30 p.m. - Dunes Park
- Master & Family/Business Sand Sculptures: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. sand castle competition -- IB Pier
Friday, July 15, 2015
- Mayor’s 2nd Annual Imperial Beach Pier Swim & Paddle - 9 a.m. Dempsey Holder Safety Center
- The Mayor’s Community Breakfast 10 a.m. - Pier Plaza.
- Sandcastle Ball: 6:00 p.m. to midnight - Imperial Beach Boys & Girls Club.
Julie Walke, president
Walke Communications Inc.