See what is on Historical Society's List for Historical Imperial Beach Buildings and Landmarks!
Mar 24, 2016 12:55PM
By Paul Spear
See what is on Historical Society's Site for Historical Imperial Beach Buildings and Landmarks! The South Bay Historical Society and the Imperial Beach Historical Group are looking to add more Imperial Beach Buildings and Landmarks to the list!
Imperial Beach Historic Sites
Help us identify IB's historical sites - What is this chuck of cement on the north end of the beach? Reply
1769 - The original El Camino Real began at the border and followed today's Hollister Street north to San Diego and California's 21 missions, before the California Legislature created Highway 101 in 1909.
1887 - The Grissom house at 554 10th St. was built in the new subdivision of South San Diego, survives today as the oldest home in Imperial Beach.
1888 - Coronado Belt Line opened in June by Elisha Babcock around the bay to the Hotel del Coronado. The track and some bridge segments still exist.
1896 - Nestor postoffice was established in a building moved from Oneonta with the Charles E. Smith store that became the Smokehouse at Coronado and Hollister.
1896 - Nestor United Methodist Church at Coronado and Hollister was built on land donated by Captain John Folks.
1899 - Mount Olivet Cemetery at 7141 Iris Avenue.
1909 - The original pier was built by the South San Diego Investment Company, damaged and rebuilt several times.
1910 - Aviation Field used by Charles Walsh to fly the first airplane built in San Diego; became Ream Field in 1918.
1912 - Jay Jackson house built at 2055 Leon.
1915 - Packing house on railroad siding at Palm and Hollister used by the Iguchi brothers, the first Japanese farmers in Imperial Beach.
1919- Navy Radio Compass Station established, renamed 1932 US Navy Direction Finder Station, Camp Emory in 1942, site of big Wullenweber antenna in 1962.
1925 - House built at 1323 Saturn Blvd.
1926 - Subdivisions built in Silver Strand Beach Gardens, Imperial Beach Manor, Sea Breeze.
1929 - Navy acquired land that became a gunnery range and later Border Field State Park.
1929 - Southwest Junior High School built at 2710 Iris Avenue.
1930 - Dick & Jackie Palmer adobe on Beverley Ave. was built on what had been the Abner Whitely ranch in 1892.
1930 - Emory Elementary School dedicated; rebuilt in 1963.
1931 - Egger dairy barn at Leon and Saturn is located on the site of the Schnell dairy that Robert Egger purchased in 1931; current barn was built in 1956.
1933 - The Palm City Woman's Club was founded, and became the Imperial Beach Woman's Club in 1974. 1939 - Patio Cafe at 24 Palm Avenue, later became the Ye Olde Plank Inn in 1968.
1942 - Fort Emory built on site of old Coronado Heights. A part of the sewer line from the fort to the estuary is still visible near the Estuary Visitor Center.
1945 - South Bay Community Park at Coronado Avenue and 17th street dedicated on land donated by Robert Egger; was re-dedlcated as Robert Egger Athletic Field in 1957.
1946 - St. Charles Church built on land donated by Robert Egger.
1947 - Teofilo Mendoza started his farm where Mendoza Elementary School is located today at 2050 Coronado Ave.
1949 - West View Elementary School built.
1953 - Mar Vista High School built.
1957 - Steve's Cafe started by Ruth and Steve Gonzalez and Alice Salazar at 1669 Palm Ave., now Jalisco's.
1958 - The South Bay Drive-In opened at 2170 Coronado Ave. on 17 acres leased from Robert Egger.
1960 - Army Corps Engineers built two stone groins to protect beach.
1960 - Lydia's Cafe established at 1628 Palm Ave.
1960 - Oneonta Elementary School built at 1311 10th Street.
1960 - Seacoast Inn, a 38-room motel, was built in 1960, closed Jan. 1, 1995, replaced by Pier South Resort with 78 rooms that opened Jan. 15, 2014, at 800 Seacoast Dr.
1962 - Reama Park built.
1962 - Strand Shopping Center built at Palm and Rainbow.
1963 - Sinatra kidnapper John W. Irwin arrested at his brother's house at 1124 Florida St.
1963 - Harbor View Elementary School built at 650 Imperial Beach Blvd.
1963 - New city hall dedicated on Coronado Ave., replaced old quonset hut on Palm Ave.
Thank you to Steven Schoenherr of the South Bay Historical Society for sharing this with us
and all the help he has provided!