With April 18th, Tax Day, coming up here are some Places to get Tax Assistance
Mar 04, 2016 11:14PM
By Paul Spear
Where to Get Tax Assistance
Did you know that your family may qualify for free tax-preparation services?
Monday, April 18th, is Tax Day. It sounds far off now, but with so many other things going on in life, it can sneak up on you. That isn’t helped by how complicated paying your taxes can seem when you don’t know what you’re doing. Fortunately, that’s what VITA is for.
VITA, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, provides free tax assistance for full-time California residents. Individuals who in 2015 earned $54,000 or less in income generally qualify for this great program.
VITA is geared toward assisting those with limited English-speaking ability, low-income workers, and disabled persons. Additionally, there’s Tax Counseling for the Elderly, which provides specialized assistance for older taxpayers.
Much of VITA’s work is done by volunteers. All materials needed for volunteering are online, including the tests you need to pass. Anyone can volunteer.
To learn more about the program or to sign up to volunteer:
To learn about locations in San Diego where you can go to get help with your taxes:
And remember, VITA can help you determine if you qualify for the state’s new Earned Income Tax Credit or the federal EITC.
Don’t forget to bring the following documents to your VITA appointment:
- Valid photo identification
- Valid Social Security Card / ITIN letter
- Birth dates for primary, secondary, and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Bank routing number and account number for direct deposit (your bank checkbook)
- College Tuition Document (Form 1098-T), Student Loan Interest Form (1098-E), if applicable
- To claim the California Renter's Credit, bring your landlord’s name, address, and phone number
- Total amount paid for daycare, if applicable
- Daycare provider’s identifying number, if applicable
- Form 1095A if insurance was purchased through the marketplace
Provided by the offices of Assembly speaker Toni G Atkins