City of Imperial Beach 2 Job Offerings - February 2016
Feb 09, 2016 12:29AM
By Paul Spear
The Imperial Beach Lifeguard Service has finished hiring for the 2014 summer season. We will hire for the 2015 summer season next spring. Tryout and interview dates are to be determined next year.
BEACH LIFEGUARD I
$14.85 to $18.96 hourly
Under direction, maintain surveillance over a section of beach from an assigned station or patrols a section of beach in a vehicle, in the protection of life, prevention of accidents, and enforcement of City ordinances; performs aquatic and medical rescues; and performs other related work required.
- Safeguard the ocean and beach using public by maintaining surveillance over a assigned area from a station or, patrols an assigned area in a radio equipped emergency vehicle, and take preventative actions and safety interventions, in the protection of life and prevention of accidents.
- Perform rescues and administer medical aid as needed; operates boats, all terrain vehicles, and specialized lifesaving equipment.
- Perform search and recovery in the ocean and other waterways.
- Interpret, explain and enforce applicable codes, ordinances, regulation, policies and procedures to the public.
- Maintain safety equipment, facilities, and supplies within the Lifeguard Division.
- Prepare clear and concise records, reports, and logs.
- Subject to twenty four hour emergency call; responds to emergencies when off duty; and completes other work assigned.
- May lead tours, or provides routine lifeguard operations and beach safety information to the media and general public.
- Take part in lifeguard and emergency medical training and drills.
- Attend lifeguard staff meetings.
- May testify in court regarding matters of enforcement and litigation.
Education & Experience:
High school graduation, State of California accredited equivalency, or G.E.D.. Any combination of training and/or experience that could likely provide the desired knowledge and abilities.
Possession of the following certificates will be required at time of application and must be included with the employment application:
- San Diego Regional Lifeguard Academy’s Introduction to Open Water Lifeguardingcertificate in the last 24 months; or has worked at least a 1,000 hours in the last 24 months at a Southern California lifeguarding agency certified with the USLA as Advanced Open Water
- A valid Class “C” California Driver’s License
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) American Red Cross for the Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers, or American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers
- American Red Cross Emergency Medical Response, or a valid San Diego CountyEmergency Medical Technician I
Application & Selection Procedure:
Applications must submitted online along with copies of all certifications at City of Imperial Beach Employment Opportunities. Applications must be filled out completely and must clearly show that the minimum requirements are met. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Physical Abilities Test & Interview:
The physical abilities test and interview dates are to be decided. It will be be held at the Imperial Beach Lifeguard Station, 950 Ocean Lane, Imperial Beach, CA 91932. Before the interview, all candidates must pass the physical abilities test, which will consist 500-meter ocean swim under 10 minutes, 1/4 mile run under 2 minutes, and a pass/fail paddle board demonstration. Interview time slots will be assigned after the tryout.
This is a seasonal part-time position with no medical and employee benefits provided. The City participates in Public Agency Retirement Services (PARS) for part-time employees and also provides an Employee Assistance Program.
For more information on the application process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (619) 423-8617 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CITY OF IMPERIAL BEACH
Job Title: MAINTENANCE WORKER I (PARKS DIVISION)
Opening Date/Time: Wed. 02/03/16 12:00 AM Pacific Time
Closing Date/Time: Thu. 02/18/16 5:30 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $16.99 - $21.69 Hourly
$2,945.00 - $3,760.00 Monthly
$35,340.00 - $45,120.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Public Works - 495 10th Street, Imperial Beach, California
Department: Public Works
Print Job Information | Apply
Description Benefits Supplemental Questions
One (1) Full-Time Vacancy Available
The City of Imperial Beach's Parks Division has the primary responsibility for the maintenance and rehabilitation of the City's parks. The Parks Division operates under the Public Works Department. The Public Works Department is comprised of the following divisions: Fleet Maintenance, Sewer Maintenance, Street Maintenance, Grounds and Facilities Maintenance, Environmental, Capital Improvement , and GIS.
9/80 work schedule: Monday thru Friday with alternate Friday closures; 6:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday thru Thursday and Friday 6:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Under supervision, to perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled duties in the repair and maintenance of parks and related areas.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED & EXERCISED
Works under general direction of the grounds & facilities supervisor, and/or immediate supervisor. Incumbent does not supervise.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs a wide variety of skilled and semi-skilled construction and maintenance work involving the land, facilities and equipment of the City, operates hand and portable power tools pertaining to the assignment, may ride or drive tractors, backhoes front end loaders, trucks, vacuums, cutters and other motor driven equipment; maintains and sharpens tools used in the assignment; works independently in the maintenance of an assigned area or project; works with a crew in work projects of moderate size; works at heights using ground ladders and mechanical lifts, works below ground level in trenches and excavations; uses chemicals and other supplies, some of which may be noxious or harmful to the body; wears protective clothing and equipment; maintains simple records; communicates by radio; reads and interprets operates vehicles on the public streets.
Maintains, constructs and repairs public parks, park play equipment and public facilities located in parks and landscaped areas; plants, water, cultivates, fertilizes and cares for shrubbery, lawns and trees; mows and edges lawns with hand and powered equipment; sprays for pests, weeds and rodent control; cleans and rakes grounds; cleans and maintains buildings and facilities; prepares soil for planting and transplanting; maintains irrigation systems, playground equipment, picnic tables and shade structures; removes leaves from parks and streets; trims trees; empties refuse containers; listens to and responds to complaints of citizens; clean floors, windows and fixtures in public facilities; mows and edges medians in commercial and residential areas, operates a chipper, manipulating and inserting wood debris in the compaction process, using care to minimize flying debris; drives motorized mowers on the public streets; fertilizers planted areas and lawns, mixing dry chemicals and applying prepared chemicals and natural fertilizers
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Proper use of mowers, cutters, edgers, chains, saws and related tools; basic fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides and herbicides; and basic pruning of shrubs and trees.
• Use with skill the tools, equipment and materials used in the repair of irrigation systems, facilities and parks. Apply herbicides, pesticides and fungicides, using proper safety precautions; install and repair landscaping and irrigation systems.
• Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent.
• Two (2) years of experience relating to construction, maintenance, repair, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Possession of a valid Class C California Driver's License at time of appointment and maintain same during employment.