Supervisor Cox speaks at IB Kiwanis Meeting on Tuesday, He touched on a lot of IB Issues!
May 20, 2015 01:37AM
● By Paul Spear
The Imperial Beach Kiwanis welcomed County Supervisor Greg Cox. A graduate of Chula Vista schools, he earned a BA in Social Sciences, a Master in Education Administration from SDSU. He is married to Cheryl Cox, the Mayor of Chula Vista, and they two grown daughters. Greg Cox started out as a teacher in the SUHSD, He served on the Chula Vista City Council and later elected to Mayor of Chula Vista, serving two terms. Greg Cox only elected official in California, to have been elected by his peers to serve as both the President of the California State Association of Counties and the President of the League of California Cities. He has been acknowledged as “Legislator of the Year” by numerous state and local organizations throughout his career. Supervisor Cox serves on the Board of SD County Regional Airport Authority, and California Coastal Commission. This is only a small part of what he is or has been involved in over the years
Here are his bullet points from his talk Tuesday:
- County is in good financial shape.
- $5.40 billion budget proposed for fiscal 2015-2016, up 6.1 from current $5.08 billion budget.
- Workforce of 17,036, down slightly from 17,044.
- Major proposals include $54.9 million for new Sheriff’s Crime Lab, $50.6 million for RCS upgrade, and additional funding for County parks and various projects.
- Hearings on budget will commence on Monday, June 1, 2015.
- Board will receive public testimony on budget on Wednesday June 3rd, at 9 a.m.
- Members of the public may also provide written testimony on the budget to the Clerk of the Board. All written documents must be received by the Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m., Wednesday, June 10, 2015.
- IB LIBRARY
- We’ve built 9 libraries over the last nine years.
- In IB, we are working to build a new library.
- Should be completed by Spring 2016.
- In recent years, have completed COC complex, Medical Examiner and Forensic Center, Registrar of Voters.