City of IB has Openings for Seasonal Lifeguard Positions, Apply now till May 22
May 15, 2015 03:54PM
● By Paul Spear
Job Title: BEACH LIFEGUARD (Seasonal Opening)
Date/Time to file Application:
Tue. 04/07/15 12:00 AM PST - Closing Date/Time: Fri. 05/22/15 5:30 PM PST
Time Salary: $14.86 - $18.96 Hourly
Job Type: Seasonal/Part-Time
Location: Ocean & Beach - 950 Ocean Lane, Imperial Beach, California
Department: Public Safety/Ocean Beach
· Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 8:00 a.m.
· Friday, May 22, 2015 at 5:30 p.m.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED & EXERCISED
Works under general direction of Beach Lifeguard II ‘s. Incumbent does not supervise.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Safeguard the ocean and beach using public by maintaining surveillance over a assigned area from a station or, patrols an assigned area in a radio equipped emergency vehicle, and take preventative actions and safety interventions, in the protection of life and prevention of accidents.
· Perform rescues and administer medical aid as needed; operates boats, all terrain vehicles, and specialized lifesaving equipment.
· Perform search and recovery in the ocean and other waterways.
· Interpret, explain, and enforce applicable codes, ordinances, regulation, policies and procedures to the public.
· Maintain safety equipment, facilities, and supplies within the Lifeguard Division.
· Prepare clear and concise records, reports, and logs.
· Subject to twenty four hour emergency call; responds to emergencies when off duty; and completes other work assigned.
· May lead tours, or provides routine lifeguard operations and beach safety information to the media and general public.
· Take part in lifeguard and emergency medical training and drills.
· Attend lifeguard staff meetings.
· May testify in court regarding matters of enforcement and litigation.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Records and reports, and public relations; all functions and duties performed by the division; modern principles, practices, and concepts of modern lifesaving techniques, boating safety, and equipment used; advanced first-aid and resuscitation methods and equipment operations; emergency medical system; ocean conditions and patterns; beach, surf, and ocean hazards; safe driving principles and practices; occupational hazards and safety practices necessary in the area of work assigned; principles and practices of underwater search and recovery techniques and basic diving physics.
Interpret, explain, and enforce relative laws, ordinances, regulations; prepare clear and concise reports; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective relationships with persons and agencies concerned with the division; size up emergency situations and adopt a quick, effective courses of action; swim and/or operate water craft in adverse weather and surf conditions for extended periods of time; and meet department health and physical standards.
Possession of the following certificates will be required at time of hiring:
· San Diego Regional Lifeguard Academy’s Introduction to Open Water Lifeguarding certificate in the last 24 months; or has worked at least a 1,000 hours in the last 24 months at a Southern California lifeguarding agency certified with the USLA as Advanced Open Water
· A valid Class “C” California Driver’s License
· Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) American Red Cross for the Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers, or American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers
· American Red Cross Emergency Medical Response, or a valid San Diego County Emergency Medical Technician I