Applications for the Imperial Beach Junior Lifeguard Program are due at Lifeguard Headquarters by April 24th
Mar 29, 2015 04:36PM
● By Paul Spear
The popular Imperial Beach Junior Lifeguard Program is gearing up again for the 2015 season, with applications due at lifeguard headquarters by April 24.
As any good Junior Lifeguard will tell you, to be successful one must analyze the situation quickly and take immediate action, because this is one program likely to fill up before the deadline. An application, program calendar, and parents handbook is available at www.ibjuniorguards.com, City Hall, or Lifeguard Headquarters, 950 Ocean Lane, Imperial Beach.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The City of Imperial Beach Junior Lifeguard Program is a comprehensive training program, designed to teach youth in our community ages 9-17 leadership, self confidence, and respect for the ocean environment. Participants learn leadership skills, basic life-saving skills, physical fitness, water safety, and ocean awareness. They will be involved in a variety of activities including competitions, swimming, surfing, body boarding, and beach games. Guest speakers from different specialties organize presentations that pertain to the ocean and its environment. Participants will also be introduced to the profession of lifeguarding through exposure to standard lifeguard equipment and safety information presented by our staff.
JUNIOR LIFEGUARD INSTRUCTORS
Instructors are all experienced and certified ocean lifeguards. As lifeguards, they are required to maintain a certain level of physical fitness and complete 24 hours of basic life support training every year.
-2015 registration forms are posted below. Forms must be turned in to I.B. Lifeguard Headquarters (950 Ocean Ln. I.B. CA 91932) by April 22nd at 8:00pm.
*How to Register*
1. The registration process is started by turning in an application to the Imperial Beach Lifeguard Headquarters (950 Ocean Ln. Imperial Beach, CA 91932). The application deadline for the 2015 program is April 24th at 8:00pm.
2. Once you have an application turned in you may attend one of the swim tryouts (dates and times below). During the swim tryouts you can try on and select uniform sizes.
3. ONLY AFTER you have successfully completed the swim tryout can you pay for the program. All payments will be made to city hall. Payment deadline is Friday May 22nd by close of business.
4. If you have not made your payment by the deadline your place in the program will be given to a child on the waitlist.
5. Spots from the waitlist will be given on a first come first serve basis.
-Space in the program is limited and not all applicants can be accepted. The program is on a first come first serve basis so please do not delay in turning in applications.
-The 2015 IBJG Program will be 5 weeks long, from June 15th - July 17th.
-Payments will only be accepted AFTER completion of the swim tryout. Further instructions will be given at the tryout. Tuition is $375/ child. Sibling discounts and financial aid are available.
Please note the following regarding swim tryouts:
- 2015 Swim dates are tentatively set for April 25th, May 2nd, and May 9th at the Mar Vista High School pool. Any change will be announced ASAP.
- Swims will be conducted from 9:00am- 11:00am
- You may only attend the swim if you have turned in an application prior to the deadline(see above). Applications will not be accepted on the day of the swim.
- Swim distances and times for tryouts are as follows:
- Underwater Swim - 10 Yards - All Ages
- Tread Water - 3 Minutes - All Ages
- 100 Yard Swim - 2 Minutes 45 Seconds - Ages 9-11
- 100 Yard Swim - 2 Minutes 35 Seconds - Ages 12-13
- 100 Yard Swim - 2 Minutes 25 Seconds - Ages 14-17
Complete details can be found in the 2015 Parent Handbook (link below). This document will contain more information about program dates, times, fees, uniforms, registration, and what to expect for the upcoming summer.
The Imperial Beach Junior Lifeguard Program offers those who are 15-17 years of age the opportunity to become Junior Guard Captains. The duties of a Junior Guard Captain include the following:
- Help Instructors set up in the morning and shut down in the afternoon
- Supervise younger Junior Guards when leaving the JG area
- Understand and adhere to the Parent Handbook
- Understand how to maintain and and care for equipment
- Understand the dangers of the ocean
- Be able to recognize a Rip Current
- Help Instructors supervise Junior Guards during skill development and keep them out of dangerous areas
- Help Instructors during activities and competition training
- Participating in all activities each day
- Participating in the Captain PT at least 3 times a week
- Supervising Junior Guards during lunch time and reminding them to re-apply sunscreen
- Must give your availability for the summer. Please give us notice in advance if you will be missing time during the session.
2015 captain information will be available at the swim tryouts. Captain space is limited and acceptance can be competitive.