Jim King, Candidate for IB City Council, makes Statement
Sep 16, 2014 06:06PM
● By Paul Spear
Imperial Beach Friends and Neighbors – Please Vote For Me
I am Jim King. In having had the honor of serving as your elected representative to the City Council from 2008 - 2012, I made a commitment to provide the leadership to help stabilize the City’s finances; and support the following:
- Business development, economic growth and job creation
- Protect and further our Classic Southern California beach town character
- Support Recreational opportunities like our Skate Park and new Bicycle Routes
- Protect and Improve our Beaches, Ocean and Natural Resources
- Support Public Safety
- Improve infrastructure like streets, sewers, lighting, parks, safe routes to school for our children and paving of alleys
- Construction of affordable housing units
My leadership was key in many of the decisions that have made these objectives a reality today, in 2014. With a long history of an economic base that was not sufficient to support the scope of services a City needs and wants to provide its residents, 2014 marks a significant positive turning point for Imperial Beach. A pivotal moment was the opening of the Pier South Hotel. It dramatically changed property values and market opportunities, the dynamics that drive investment. Imperial Beach is Booming !!! - in a very positive way. The center to be developed at 9th and Palm will simply be more value added both financially and as a place to meet and shop.
Not since the Miracle Shopping Center at 9th and Palm was built, has the City experienced the interest, excitement, and momentum we are seeing in the opening of new businesses.
Community engagement in a visionary planning process, together with a highly competent professional staff and a continuity of policy direction from successive City
Councils’ has brought us to this juncture, where all the hard work is coming together in
a unified whole. Our tax base will expand and many of the unmet desires and needs
of the City’s residents will be able to be addressed without sacrificing other necessities the City must provide for the health, safety and welfare of its citizens.
- General Building Contractor (current)
- Sharp Coronado Hospital Board Member (current)
- Imperial Beach City Council 2008 - 2012
- Imperial Beach Redevelopment Oversight Board (current)
- Millwork Company Owner (prior)
- City Planner (prior – local and regional)
- Bachelors Degree – Public Administration
Imperial Beach Resident – 27 years . Married 29 years. 1- Son - 21. 1 - Cat 1 - Dog
San Diego Resident – 58 years. I surf, river raft, hike, enjoy music, people & travel.